PALAZZO GRIFONI

Palazzo Grifoni, a historic listed building, was originally owned by the papal family of the Aldobrandini princes, and was built in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century. The stairs, landings, and some of the apartments, still have the original vaulted ceilings and wooden beams, while the more important first floor apartments, the Piano Nobile, have painted ceilings.

The building was home to the prestigious nineteenth century “Hotel of America”, The Hotel “Great Britain” and the main floor was home for a period to the famous German composer Richard Wagner (Leipzig 1813 – Venezia 1883), as shown by the inscription on the facade of the building, the writer Gabriele D’Annunzio, the composer Franz Liszt, the architect Valadier, and other historical figures.